The Information Processing Group welcomes colleagues wishing to collaborate and spend time at Oregon State University, but does not have funding to support such visits. Potential visiting scholars having their own funding should contact Professor Mathews.
There are no paid post-doctoral positions available at this time.
If you are interested in a post-doctoral position with the Group and have already secured funding or wish to seek outside sources of funding (for example, NSF, NIH, etc.), contact Professor Mathews to discuss project ideas.
We expect to add one or two new graduate students to the Group each year. If you are interested in working on your graduate research under Professor Mathews’ guidance, please read the information below.
Professor Mathews receives quite a few e-mails each year from students wishing to learn about opportunities to join the Information Processing Group. It is difficult to respond individually to all the letters. However, you may want to know the following before you apply for admission to our graduate program and are interested in working with Professor Mathews:
- We are always looking for good students to join our group.
- Every qualified applicant will be considered for financial support if the applicant has been admitted to the graduate program and has indicated an interest in working under Professor Mathews’ supervision. However, there are much more qualified applicants than positions available.
- With rare exceptions, Professor Mathews provides financial support only to Ph.D. students. TA positions as well as RA positions with other faculty members may be available for MS students, but he is not involved with those decisions.
- The criteria for selection of graduate students to the Information Processing Group include, but are not limited to
- Academic performance including rank in your class. In particular, excellent grades in signal processing and mathematics courses.
- Reputation of your school. GRE scores if available, especially the quantitative and analytical scores.
- Prior experience doing research in signal processing, and the results of such work. If you have presented your results in conferences or technical journals, it is a definite plus.
- Positive recommendations of your professors or supervisors at work.
- Ability to program in MATLAB or another commonly used language such as Python or C++.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Please do not write to Professor Mathews for application forms, etc. You can apply online at https://eecs.oregonstate.edu/apply-eecs-graduate-programs . Also, please read the relevant departmental information available at https://eecs.oregonstate.edu/apply-eecs-graduate-programs.
- Once you are admitted to our graduate program, Professor Mathews will be happy to correspond with you if you have questions related to the program.
If you are an undergraduate student (in any major) with interest in one or more of the research topics the IPG works on, have an excellent academic record, good mathematical skills and an ability to program in MATLAB or another language, and are interested in doing your senior project under Professor Mathews’ guidance, please contact Dr. Mathews directly. Opportunities to join the Group during earlier stages of your program also exist.
High School Students
High School students with interest in IPG's research activities and the right academic background may also be able to learn from and contribute to IPG's mission. If you are interested, contact Professor Mathews